Estate Litigation is that area of practice that deals with disputes respecting a deceased person’s assets. In this course we will give a more broad meaning to the term, and will deal with disputes respecting any of the following:
– Probate proceedings including Orders Giving Directions, Orders for production and examination, and selected interlocutory steps in will challenges.
– Administration of trusts and estates including Applications to remove and replace a trustee and to seek the advice and direction of the Court.
– Passings of account by trustees, Guardians and Attorneys.
– Dependants’ support claims.
– Actions by and against an Estate Trustee in that representative capacity.
The emphasis will be on the acquisition of skills in respect of the most common features of everyday practice and will involve both written and oral advocacy.
There is no text to purchase. Students should have access to the relevant statutes in print or through the Internet in class.
Class participation: 50%
Culminating exercise: 50%
READINGS AND MATERIALS